Department of Human Resources and Administration
The Human Resources and Administration is a common user department charged with the responsibility of overseeing the human resources matters in the Ministry.
The Mission of the Department is to ensure that the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock is staffed by a suitably qualified, motivated and viable workforce and to give all the necessary support services to the other departments.
In accordance with the Ministry’s Strategic Plan, the two broad long-term objectives of the Department of Human Resources and Administration are:
- To effectively develop the human and institutional capacity of the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives for efficient and effective delivery of services, and
- To effectively manage the utilization of human, financial, material and other resources in order to ensure the attainment of the overall Ministry’s objectives.
The mandate of the Department includes the following;
- Provision of administrative support services to the Ministry and line Departments.
- Effective development of human and institutional capacity of the Ministry,
- Effective management and utilization of human, financial and other resources in order to ensure the attainment of the Ministry’s objectives.
Structure and staffing
The Department is headed by a Director and divided into sections each headed by an Assistant Director;
- Human Resources and Administration Section
- Administration Unit,
- Plant and Equipment Unit,
- Human Resources Management Unit (HRM),
- Financial Management Unit (FMU),
- Procurement and Supplies Unit (PSU),
- Internal Audit Unit,
- Records Management Unit.
B. Human Resources Development and Training Section.
- Human Resources Development Unit
- Agricultural Training Institutions (ATIs)- Coordination Unit
The Administration unit is headed by an Administrative Officer and its functions are;
- Office superintendency ie provision of office accommodation, furniture and ensuring a good working environment.
- Transport management.
- Provision of secretarial services.
- Provision of security and protocol services.
- Co-ordination of payments for goods and services for the Ministry
Plant and Equipment
This Unit is headed by a Controller- Plant and Equipment and charged with the responsibility of providing technical support to ensure optimal utilisation of plant and equipment.
Its functions include;
- Maintenance of buildings, plant and equipment.
- Provision of guidance to procurement and supplies in the formulation of acceptable technical specifications.
- Maintenance of inventories of assets.
Human Resource Management Unit
The Unit is headed by a Chief Human Resources Management Officer.
- It provides human resource support to the entire Ministry. It is responsible for ensuring that the Ministry is manned by suitable and sufficiently qualified human resources.
The main functions are;
- Recruitment, promotions, appointments and orientation of staff.
- Staff discipline and welfare
- Staff separation
- Interpretation of conditions of service
- Coordinating and overseeing the implementation of the Performance management Package (PMP).
Financial Management Unit
The Unit is headed by a Chief Accountant.
- It is vested with the responsibilities of managing financial resources for the Ministry. The functions include;
- Preparing of finical reports and liaising on with the Ministry of Finance and National Planning on the disbursement of funds;
- Liaising with the Policy, Planning and Information Department on the drawing up of budgets, strategic plans and disbursement of funds based on programmes and activities as contained in the strategic plan.
Procurement and Supplies unit
The unit is headed by a Head- Procurement and Supplies Officer.
- It is charged with the responsibility of procurement of goods, works and services for all end users within the Ministry.
Internal Audit Unit
The Unit is headed by the Principal Internal Auditor.
It is an independent unit within the ministry under the department of Human Resources and Administration. It helps management by reviewing, assessing and evaluating the internal control systems put in place. It also assists management in the effective discharge of its responsibilities by furnishing them with appraisals and recommendations on the activities reviewed.
Records Management Unit
The Unit is headed by a Chief Registry Officer.
- It is charged with the responsibility of securing the records and documents of the entire Ministry as well as establishing and maintaining an effective centralized management system for policy, personnel and salaries registries.
Human Resource Development Unit
This unit is headed by a Chief Human Resource Development officer (CHRDO)
- It is charged with the responsibility of administering and controlling staff training activities to ensure that only relevant training takes place in the Ministry in accordance with the Public Service Training Policy Guidelines.
The unit does the following;
- Coordinates development and training programmes of all staff in the Ministry
- Identify training needs for all staff in the Ministry in collaboration with Head of Departments
- Prioritize training needs according to all skills gaps identified in the performance appraisal process.
The Coordination Unit is headed by a Chief coordinator.
It coordinates complex needs of all Agricultural Training Institutions (ATIs) and their operational requirements in the Ministry.
The main functions are;
- Coordinating the preparation of budgets for the colleges and ensuring effective representation of the colleges in meetings dealing with funding and resources allocation.
- Liaising with foreign bodies/institutions which have an interest in the colleges.