Department of Agribusiness and Marketing
The Department of Agribusiness and Marketing is expected to play a major role in revitalizing agricultural marketing in the country. To this end, the Department continues to provide an operational policy framework in agricultural market development in order to improve the responsiveness of the stakeholders to market support and agribusiness services.
The Department also takes on board the policy direction, monitoring and supervision of statutory bodies and projects within the mandate of the Department. These include the Food Reserve Agency (FRA), the Fertiliser Support Programme (FSP), Nitrogen Chemicals of Zambia (NCZ) Ltd and the Smallholder Enterprise, and Marketing Programme (SHEMP).
The mission of the Department of Agribusiness and Marketing is to facilitate and encourage the development and growth of a competitive and sustainable private sector driven agricultural market.
The main objective of the Department is to promote the development of a competitive, efficient and transparent public and private sector driven marketing system for agricultural commodities and inputs.
Structural Organization and Functions
The Department of Agribusiness and Marking is headed by a director and has two sections namely Market Support Services and Agribusiness.
The Market Support Services Section is responsible for marketing information, marketing research and marketing extension. The Agribusiness Section on the other hand is in charge of agricultural trade, agricultural finance and entrepreneurship training.
The main functions of the Department of Agribusiness and Marketing are as follows:
- Keeping an inventory of crop and input dealers/traders
- Coordinating and monitoring all agricultural input supply services
- Facilitating the development of marketing schemes and marketing research.
- Facilitation of domestic and international agricultural trade
- Collecting, collating and disseminating information on agricultural products
- Monitoring and supervising the implementation of agricultural marketing policies
- Providing marketing extension services to all market stakeholders
- Provision of agricultural entrepreneurship skills
- Facilitating the development of an efficient, effective and sustainable agricultural finance system
- Facilitating the development and improvement of agriculture marketing infrastructure and structures.
- Providing policy advice on matters related to agricultural marketing.