The main functions of the Department include:-
- Disseminating technical and other information to the farming community;
- Providing technical services in irrigation, farm power, mechanization and land husbandry;
- Providing technical information in crop production, horticultural production, nutrition, crop protection and soil fertility.
The overall focus for the department is to enable the farmers make informed decisions so as to increase their production and productivity. The department comprises the following branches;
a) Technical Services Branch;
b) Agriculture Advisory Service Branch;
c) Crops Production Branch.
THE TECHNICAL SERVICES BRANCH
The Technical Services Branch is responsible for providing irrigation services, land husbandry and agricultural mechanisation so as to contribute to increased food production through the application of economically sustainable technologies as well as enhancing sustained use of agricultural land resource base. The branch comprises 3 sections;
- Agricultural Mechanisation Section;
- Land Husbandry Section; and
- Irrigation Engineering Section.
AGRICULTURAL ADVISORY SERVICE BRANCH
The Agricultural Advisory Services Branch facilitates timely dissemination of relevant agricultural extension information relating to activities such as crops production, farm management, extension methodology, food and nutrition to enable farmers make enlightened agricultural decisions. In addition, the Branch facilitates the provision of technical services and guidance to the farming community in order to increase production and productivity.
The Agricultural Advisory Branch comprises 2 Sections;
- Extension Services Section; and
- Food and Nutrition Section.
CROPS PRODUCTION BRANCH
The Branch is responsible for the provision of Crop Production Technologies in the following areas:-
- Field Crops Agronomy i.e. Crop diversification; soil fertility; plant nutrition; agronomy; seeds multiplication; Tree Crops Production i.e. technologies in the production of citrus, mangoes, cashew nuts and other fruits; Crop protection i.e. judicious use of pesticides to control pests and other crop protection functions; Vegetable Production; Technologies in vegetables production in general and high value crops in particular i.e. Floriculture and Outgrower Schemes. The Branch provides technical information in collaboration with the private sector so that the farming communities are able to make informed decisions and thus increase their production and productivity.
- The Crops Production Branch therefore serves as an interface between agricultural research and extension services to the lowest level of contact with the farmers, as well as with other relevant organisations, institutions and key stakeholders on crop production matters. The branch comprises
- Field Crops Agronomy Section;
- Tree Crops Section; and
- Vegetables and Floriculture Section.