Written by mwambazi
Wednesday, 13 March 2013 14:38
The abstract of your dissertation explains what will be written in your dissertation. It has to be interesting, and encourage the reader to read the remainder of the dissertation. If you are able to arouse interest of the reader - your dissertation will be well received. It is crucial to have a perfect dissertation abstract, and you can write a dissertation abstract the way it is supposed to be written and the way it is expected by your professor, if you have the right assistance..
The Department of Policy and Planning is one of the common user departments in the Ministry. The Department is a central agency whose role is to ensure that policies and objectives of the Ministry are maintained and coordinated in an effective manner on a continous basis as well as reviewing these policies and objectives and making necesssary changes to reflect the current demands of the agricultural sector. The Department also has the mandate for overall programme planning, monitoring and evaluation, budgeting and donor co-ordination.
The mission of Policy and Planning Department is to facilitate and develop mechanisms to ensure that the policies and objectives set for the agricultural sector are being achieved and to recommend changes where necessary.
Role of the Policy and Planning Department
In an economy under liberalization and especially with the diversity of players and approaches in interventions in the agricultural sector PPD has a critical role to play. It has the responsibility of providing policy advice and direction for the sector and also coordinating and harmonizing activities in the agricultural sector.
The PPD works closely with the Agricultural Consultative Forum (ACF) Secretariate in reviewing the performance of the agricultural sector and identifying critical actions required to overcome the constraints impeding the achievement of sector goals.
The PPD has the following specific objectives:
- To monitor and assess agriculture performance in relation to established strategies.
- To undertake policy studies and analyses; and provide appropriate policy advice to enable the Government understand the outcomes of various policy options and select the most appropriate.
- To provide the technical leadership necessary to enable the ministry to effectively plan, monitor and evaluate agricultural sector programmes
- To maintain an Agricultural Sector data bank to support policy analysis, performance assessment; and provide timely responses to issues raised by stakeholders.
- To co-ordinate preparation of the MAL budget.
- To contribute to the monitoring and control of Expenditure in the ministry.
Structure of PPD
PPD is headed by a Director and is divided into two branches, each headed by a Deputy Director. The branches are further divided into sections, which are headed by Chief Planners. The PPD branches and their respective sections are given below:
1. Policy Analysis and Statistics Branch (PAS)
• Sectoral Policy and Rural Sociology section
• Data base Management Early Warning section
2. Programme Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Branch (PPME)
• Monitoring and Evaluation Section
• Budget Development and Coordination
Specific Objectives and Activities of PPD Sections
i. Sectoral Policy and Rural Sociology section
The objective of this section is to strengthen capacity in formulation and implementation of policies and strategies in response to constraints or problems identified or anticipated during sector programmers’ implementation.
Activities of the Section include:
• Preparation of briefs on agricultural policies.
• Production and circulation of agricultural sector policy documents.
• Follow up on privatization/ commercialization of agricultural enterprises.
• Undertaking agricultural policy studies and analyses, including the Sector performance analysis.
• Facilitating mainstreaming of gender and other cross cutting issues into agricultural activities.
• Contributing to preparation of the Economic Reports (Agricultural Chapter)
• Sensitization on and dissemination of agricultural policies to stakeholders.
• Providing policy advice on socio-economic and gender aspects as they affect agriculture and program formulation.
ii. Data base Management and Early Warning Section
The objective of this section is to collect and analyze relevant data for the agricultural sector and to maintain a database.
Activities of the Section include:
• Conducting Crop forecasting and Post harvest surveys.
• Provision of early warning data and information for food security and timely planning and decision-making.
• Undertaking Vulnerability and Food Needs Assessment.
• Producing agricultural statistic bulletins and maintaining the agricultural database.
iii. Monitoring and Evaluation Section
The objective of this Section is to undertake and co-ordinate the monitoring and evaluation of programmes in the agricultural sector.
The activities of the section include:
• Co-ordinating activities among sub programmes within MAL and with other stakeholders in the sector.
• Facilitating co-ordination with and among donors in the agricultural sector.
• Undertaking program planning and designing.
• Monitoring and Evaluating of the sector programmes
• Coordinating the Management Information System ( MIS) for all the sub programs under MAL.
iv. Budget Development and Co-ordination Section
The objective of this section is to coordinate budget preparation for MAL as a whole as well as to finalise and consolidate sub-program budgets.
Activities performed by the section include:
• Coordinating the preparation of Ministry and Departmental annual work plans and budgets.
• Consolidating the annual work plans and budgets for the Ministry.
• Conducting analysis of investment trends in agriculture for rational distribution of resources.
• Conducting periodic analysis on the sources and uses of investment funds in MAL.
• Co-ordinating with donors and other stakeholders in the sector providing investment resources.
• Liaising with the Financial Management Unit in the effective monitoring of financial resources.
For Further details Contact:
Policy and Planning Department
P.O. Box 50197
Last Updated on Tuesday, 21 August 2012 06:30
Written by Administrator
Friday, 27 April 2012 16:20
See Early Warning information below
- 2010-11 food balance sheet
- 11 year crop production data
- Agriculture Statistical Bulletin_2011