PPD is headed by a Director and is divided into two branches, each headed by a Deputy Director. The branches are further divided into sections, which are headed by Chief Planners. The PPD branches and their respective sections are given below:
- Policy Analysis and Statistics Branch (PAS)
- Sectoral Policy and Rural Sociology section
- Data base Management Early Warning section
- Programme Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Branch (PPME)
- Monitoring and Evaluation Section
- Budget Development and Coordination
Specific Objectives and Activities of PPD Sections
i. Sectoral Policy and Rural Sociology section
The objective of this section is to strengthen capacity in formulation and implementation of policies and strategies in response to constraints or problems identified or anticipated during sector programmers’ implementation.
Activities of the Section include:
- Preparation of briefs on agricultural policies.
- Production and circulation of agricultural sector policy documents.
- Follow up on privatization/ commercialization of agricultural enterprises.
- Undertaking agricultural policy studies and analyses, including the Sector performance analysis.
- Facilitating mainstreaming of gender and other cross cutting issues into agricultural activities.
- Contributing to preparation of the Economic Reports (Agricultural Chapter)
- Sensitization on and dissemination of agricultural policies to stakeholders.
- Providing policy advice on socio-economic and gender aspects as they affect agriculture and program formulation.
ii. Data base Management and Early Warning Section
The objective of this section is to collect and analyze relevant data for the agricultural sector and to maintain a database.
Activities of the Section include:
- Conducting Crop forecasting and Post harvest surveys.
- Provision of early warning data and information for food security and timely planning and decision-making.
- Undertaking Vulnerability and Food Needs Assessment.
- Producing agricultural statistic bulletins and maintaining the agricultural database.
iii. Monitoring and Evaluation Section
The objective of this Section is to undertake and co-ordinate the monitoring and evaluation of programmes in the agricultural sector.
The activities of the section include:
- Co-ordinating activities among sub programmes within MAL and with other stakeholders in the sector.
- Facilitating co-ordination with and among donors in the agricultural sector.
- Undertaking program planning and designing.
- Monitoring and Evaluating of the sector programmes
- Coordinating the Management Information System ( MIS) for all the sub programs under MAL.
iv. Budget Development and Co-ordination Section
The objective of this section is to coordinate budget preparation for MAL as a whole as well as to finalise and consolidate sub-program budgets.
Activities performed by the section include:
- Coordinating the preparation of Ministry and Departmental annual work plans and budgets.
- Consolidating the annual work plans and budgets for the Ministry.
- Conducting analysis of investment trends in agriculture for rational distribution of resources.
- Conducting periodic analysis on the sources and uses of investment funds in MAL.
- Co-ordinating with donors and other stakeholders in the sector providing investment resources.
- Liaising with the Financial Management Unit in the effective monitoring of financial resources.
Key Investment Programmes under the National Agricultural Investment Plan (NAIP) of the CAADP
- Sustainable Natural Resources Management Programme
- Agricultural Production and Productivity Improvement Programme
- Market Access and Service Development
- Food and Nutrition Security and Disaster Risk Management
- Business in a Changing Environment through collection, analysis and timely dissemination of reliable agricultural statistics and maintenance of data base in order to influence sound decision making by various stakeholders.